OT: Re: Python on MacOS X 10.2: a warning and instructions

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Tue Sep 17 10:26:09 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 02:24  AM, Kow K wrote:

> I probaby won't migrate to Jaguar for a while.
> I can't trust Apple these days. Now, Apple is such a
> shameless company that they don't care privileges
> of previous users. Why do 10.1.x users have to pay as
> much as $129??? No matter how tight their budget is,
> that sucks.

Well, 10.0.x came with my computer, so I guess I paid for that version.
  And it sucked.
Then 10.1.x came out and I got an upgrade package for free from a
nearby Apple store.  You could also get one mailed to you for $20
directly from Apple.  That version was a much-needed improvement.
Now 10.2.x is out and costs $129, but if I only have to pay for every
even-numbered point release, it doesn't seem so bad.  Let's see if they
offer 10.3.x for free (or $20).

It's the other things Apple is doing that worry me: stealing from 3rd
party developers putting Watson into Sherlock.  [Though I do appreciate
the decision to move "Find" back into the "Finder"]

To the OP: Did you say that you were able to get a Mac OS X version of
Python working with GNU readline without using Fink??

Erik

--
Erik Price                                                  (zombies
roam)

email: erikprice at mac.com
jabber: erikprice at jabber.org