Converting Python app to C++ completely

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Sep 16 22:22:03 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... if instead you choose to wait until you actually *need* C++
> to solve a problem that Python can't handle, you just might find that
> you don't ever need to learn C++.  Then the second one is actually
> not a problem at all! :-)
>
> This thought courtesy of XP's philosophy of avoiding unnecessary
> work, which is acronymized as YAGNI (You Aren't Going to Need It).

I'm reasonably convinced that I'll never need C++ to solve real
problems.  I'm also reasonably convinced that I do need C++ to get
invited to job interviews.  This thought courtesy of today's economy.

Could be worse.  I could be trying to learn Cobol, for which I see a lot
more job postings than I do for Python :-(