representing a literal single slash

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 12:22:38 CEST 2002

Padraig Brady <Padraig at Linux.ie> wrote in
news:xZhh9.4239$cP3.10322 at news.iol.ie:

>> Specifically, a raw string cannot end in a single backslash (since
> > the backslash would escape the following quote character)
>
> But there is no escaping when the prefix r is used?
> I guess there is a good reason for this inconsitency?

There is escaping with the prefix r: backslash followed by a quote escapes
the quote into the string, but leaves the backslash in the string.

Whether this is a good reason depends on your viewpoint. Whether there is
good reason for raw strings is also arguable: raw strings do not permit you
to do anything that you could not do with non-raw strings, they violate the
'one way to do it' rule, and they are confusing.

They do make it easier to write regular expressions, and a regular
expression couldn't end in a single backslash anyway. If you only ever use
raw strings for regular expressions then you are unlikely to have
problems[1].  They are often misused to write DOS pathnames, which may end
in a backslash.

[1] Unlikely to have problems with the raw strings that is. Problems with
regular expressions are likely.