deleting the first and the last character of a string

Manuel Hendel manuel at
Wed Sep 11 14:00:34 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 01:51:18PM +0200, Manuel Hendel wrote:
> This worked quite good, but I found another problem. There seams to be
> trailing whitespaces. I tried to strip(s) to get rid of them, but this
> doesn't work, I get the following error message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./", line 9, in ?
>       print strip(line)
>       NameError: name 'strip' is not defined
> What's wrong here?

Sorry for that mail, I already found the problem, I simply forgot to
put string. in front of strip. This happens when a programming
beginner tries to solve a problem for several hours.

What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator.