linux python ideas

Jeff Davis jdavis at empires.org
Thu Sep 19 00:42:48 EDT 2002

I think python's strength (for me) is in it's versatility and consistency.
That combination is very powerful.

When I say python is consistent, I mean that there are very few special
cases, and few special character sequences to remember. That means you
generally only have to reference the docs for functions, and not language
issues.

It's also versatile, because
(a) it has a good standard library
(b) the library is easily extended with python, C, or Java (if you're into
jython). That gives python access to the vast standard libraries, and
extended libraries (like APIs to virtually anything in existence), of C &
Java.

I use it for:
* simple task automation, kind of like a shell script but easier to write.
* starting to use it for web programming
* practical extraction and report, text/binary data processing or
reformatting, whatever you want to call it.
* methematics, such as statistics, but also really simple stuff when I have
a shell more handy than a calculator :)
* embedded scripting (because it integrates so easily with C)
* small daemons and other small applications

Regards,
        Jeff