Windows/DOS: double clicking a .py file

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Mon Sep 9 19:17:08 EDT 2002

cmd.exe will accept a flag telling it to stay open after something is run.
You can create a shortcut along the lines of:

cmd /K python myscript.py <args>

You could also add this to the cmd shortcut itself if you have one, but that
generally turns out to be a major pain since all dos-window based apps will
then leave their windows open.

A nice aspect of using a custom cmd shortcut is that you can set colors and
fonts and window size just for this app which might help distinguish it if
you have a lot of dos windows open. You can set the screen buffer height to
a high number so you can scroll really far back (not a good idea to make the
screen buffer width greater then the window width though).

you can type 'help cmd' in a dos window for more info on cmd switches.

HTH,

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA