parsing tabs in a string

Andrew Thompson andrew.thompson at
Mon Sep 23 19:22:29 CEST 2002

You might find it easier to split up the line first into a collection of
fields using the tab-delimiter, and then just access the collection
As an array :
import string
aString='abc \t def \t xyz  \t'
anArray = string.split ( aString , '\t')
anArray[0] now equals
'abc '
-----Original Message-----
From: python-list-admin at [mailto:python-list-admin at]
On Behalf Of Andrew Alzner
Sent: 23 September 2002 18:11
To: python-list at
Subject: parsing tabs in a string
I'm getting to know Python and have a quick question for something I
don't understand.
I'm trying to parse information extracted from a spreadsheet which is
tab separated. Here is a simplified version of what I have:
print y.find("\t")
print y.find("\t",1)
I thought the second .find should return the second occurence of "\t".
To get the index of the second tab I have to type:
print y.find("\t",13)
This doesn't make sense to me. Can someone help me please.