Python Process that can survive

Christopher Peery peeryc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 10:29:02 EDT 2002

Alright... I love python but I think I may have found a definite
 problem. I can't seem to run a python process, kick it to the
 back-ground, and then kill the terminal that started it. With most
 other things, the python process would keep running in the
 back-ground regardless. For me, the process always dies with the
 terminal.

 So my question: is there a way to separate a python script from the
 underlying terminal so that this will not happen.

 I'm hoping for some scheme that's supported by the language. I've
 found a few hacks on-line where the python process is daemonized
 but this requires shutting down all the standard io streams.
 There's got to be a better way especially since it can be done in
Perl very easily with no special tricks.

By the way, I'm doing this on a linux box.

Chris