Strange library problem

John jcoppens at
Wed Sep 4 02:48:39 CEST 2002

Hi all.

I installed quite a few packages trying to upgrade to Gnome 2.0 and
got a
problem in another area. Tried to run eRoaster again, and the the
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/eroaster", line 9, in ?
    from main import Application
  File "/usr/local/lib/eroaster/", line 49, in ?
    from gnome.ui import GnomeApp, GnomeFileEntry, GnomeErrorDialog,
GnomeAbout, GnomeOkDialog
  File "/opt/gnome/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-1.2/gnome/",
line 3, in ?
    import _gnomeui
ImportError: /opt/gnome/lib/ undefined symbol:
I checked libgnome, and didn't find any reference to libiconv in it
(using ldd).
So, I wonder why is libgnome needing libiconv_open at all?

Sorry - this is maybe a gnome problem, but I didn't find any ref at
all to this
on the 'net, and this may have something to with the python config?

BTW, I separated the 'import _gnomeui, gnome' from in two lines
detect which was the one failing.