more on weak typing..

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Tue Sep 24 22:25:07 EDT 2002

Lance wrote:

>   dynamically typed language
>   A language in which types are discovered at execution time; the opposite
> of statically typed. VBScript and Python are dynamically typed, because they
> figure out what type a variable is when you first assign it a value.

That's not quite accurate. In most dynamically-typed languages,
variables don't have types *at all*; types are associated with
values, not variables. If you took the above statement literally,
you might think that once you had assigned something of a given
type to a variable, you couldn't assign something of a different
type to it later -- which is obviously not true of Python (or
Lisp, or Scheme, or Smalltalk, or any other d-t language I can
think of!)

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,