Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at
Sun Apr 6 20:27:56 CEST 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at> writes:

>     Patrick> The Scintilla text control (written in C and wrapped in
>     Patrick> wxPython by a control called wxStyledTextCtrl) handles the
>     Patrick> on-screen representation and user-manipulation of the text.  So
>     Patrick> that part is actually easy.  Just read in a file, feed it to
>     Patrick> Scintilla, and go.  The next step is wrapping all this in an
>     Patrick> Emacs-like framework.
> If Scintilla doesn't distinguish between Emacs's notion of buffers (a chunk
> of text being edited) and windows (a view onto a buffer) you may find the
> task harder than it would first appear.

I don't think this will be an issue.  I'm implementing my own buffer
class that acts like an Emacs buffer, except that I delegate the
actual rendering and user interface to Scintilla.  Scintilla is used
like the Emacs window, and I can have multiple Scintilla views into
the same buffer and a change in one is reflected in the other.  And
like Emacs windows, each can have its own point into the same buffer.

Patrick K. O'Brien
"Your source for Python programming expertise."