Shadowing builtins (was Re: a pyrex-inspired for-i-from-1-to-n...)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 2 19:32:18 EST 2003

In article <3E8B7D49.829034FF at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

>I hope Greg's comments about being able to disable this are on the
>mark, because otherwise this would be a clear case of a desire for
>(unnecessary, IMHO) optimization being given higher priority than
>maintaining one of Python's strongest advantages.  Speed will *never*
>be Python's strongest suit, but its dynamicism clearly is; let's not
>bugger that up!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I was under the impression
that disabling the ability to munge another module's namespace was at
least partly driven by the desire to enable secure code.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002