GUI libs

Grant Edwards grante at
Fri Apr 25 23:44:44 CEST 2003

In article <mailman.1051301620.25438.python-list at>, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Tkinter is indeed a pretty good place to start -- just try not
>> to think about the fact that you're pulling in a Tcl interpreter
>> also.  ;)
> I do find it a bit worrying that every time I start a Python
> program, it pulls in a C runtime library.  Guess I have to do
> something about that...

But those C runtime library routines aren't redundant. they're
providing functionality that Python doesn't implement. OTOH,
having both Tcl and Python interpreters seems a bit redundant.

I have used Scheme with Tk bindings, and that didn't use Tcl.
The Scheme interpreter was bound directly to the Tk widgets.
That results in several advantages to the application
programmer, but disadvantages to the binding maintainer. I
completely understand why the designers of Tkinter chose to do
it the way they did -- and I probably would have done the same

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  While I'm in
                                  at               LEVITTOWN I thought I'd
                                 like to see the NUCLEAR