Cryptography (was Re: How to protect python code ?)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 13 11:24:45 EDT 2003

In article <OIqdnV1p3aljSw-jXTWcpg at comcast.com>,
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>Consider cryptography in general.  Try asking any security/spy agency
>for details on their cryptography methods.  Now notice that
>publications in the field mostly (all?) come from academics who do not
>actually do cryptography!  The science of keeping secrets secret is
>generally keep secret, as much as possible, by its practitioners.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your main point (about protecting Python
code), but cryptographic systems that are developed privately are much
easier to hack (historically, at least) than ones developed in public.
Anyone who cares about security should read comp.risks.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002