One-liner blocks (was Re: accessing a functions var from a subfunction.)

Aahz aahz at
Thu Apr 17 16:48:27 CEST 2003

In article <Inyna.27603$LB6.635831 at>,
Alex Martelli  <aleax at> wrote:
>let me try to channel GvR (even though I'm quite a fan of one-line
>blocks myself, particularly for such idioms as "if <xxx>: break")...:
>Having MTOWTDI ain't Pythonic.  The ability to write either:
>    if finished: break
>OR quite equivalently
>    if finished:
>        break
>is therefore a wart.  If only one of the two must survive, it's
>clearly the second one (more general).  This will also ease the
>task of semi-bright editors (right now, my GVIM tries to help
>me by autoindenting right after each such "one-line block"...).

That's not the main reason, though.  The main reason is that Guido
believes that control structures should stand out clearly.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?