Textbooks?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Apr 28 04:08:44 EDT 2003

Lorenzo Bolognini wrote:

> "Steven Hodgen" <steven at twitch.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:oproar1sjtx3zh5c at news.mindspring.com...
>
>> However, Java is not a great language for beginners.  Python, on the
> other
>> hand, is ideal.  If I can find a textbook that is even ok, I may
> consider
>> changing, since the language is so much better for students at this
> level.
>
> I'm a beginner and I liked very much
>
> Practical Python
> By Magnus Lie Hetland

It's an excellent book indeed.  However, Steven is looking for
a *TEXT*-book -- and Magnus's book isn't one (no exercises)...
it may be one of the best tools to LEARN Python, but textbooks
typically have certain requirements, which this book doesn't meet.

> And you could find the tut's at this page useful for the very
> beginning
> http://hetland.org/python/

Excellent tutorials (translating a few of them into Italian was
one of the first things I did as I was learning Python), but
irrelevant wrt the need to select *TEXTBOOKS*, alas.

Alex