distributed computing implementations

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Apr 2 11:38:43 EST 2003

    robin> I am attempting to summarise the distributed computing
    robin> implementations available to Python programmers. My conclusions
    robin> so far are as follows:

    [CORBA
     SOAP, XML-RPC
     Dopy, Pyro, Twisted Spread
    ]

    robin> Comments?

If you're willing to bend multi-language interoperability a bit you can
speed up XML-RPC quite a bit by using marshal or pickle to prepackage your
arguments and return values.  Saves wasting a helluva lot of little angle
brackets.  I have two versions of frequently called methods on my server,
one that is Python-only (does the marshal thing) and one that is
cross-platform (doesn't marshal args and return values).

Skip