What are the differences between SWIG and Boost.Python?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 7 04:33:54 CEST 2003

Bryan wrote:
> in pyrex, don't you have to redefine all the structures?

Currently, yes, although some people have been experimenting
with tools for semi-automatic translation of C headers. I'll
probably look into this issue myself at some point.

 > i haven't dived into pyrex all that much and i know it's
 > an incredible project, but redefining this header stuff
 > just keeps me away from it.

You need to weigh up the effort needed to rewrite the declarations
in Pyrex against the effort needed to write all the C code for
conversions, refcounting, error handling, etc. (and get it right!)
by hand.

I'd encourage you to at least try using Pyrex for a small
project, so you'll have some experience from which to decide
where the balance lies for you.

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
Christchurch, New Zealand