Python and Schools

yaipa h. yaipa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 13:46:35 EDT 2003

> - 50% of all exercises "to teach programming" are already solved in the
> standard-library or are a method of a buildin object / are allready build
> in the core language

Funny when my US Army .45 cal pistol class champion uncle taught me to
shoot he told me it was better to learn the right way first so not to
develop the bad habits in the first place.  I find that today's "program
in a box" college courses bread more bad habits then they actually teach
good programming practices.  Learning from the Python modules is a fine
way of learning the right way first.

Also, programming at the entry level is a bit like your basic hand tools. Life
becomes greatly more interesting/easier if you know how to use them CORRECTLY.
All be it most of us have no desire to become carpenters, auto mechanics, &c.
Python is an excellent language to teach early on to find those that love
the discipline and educate the rest on how to use today's version of a hand
tool CORRECTLY.

> - 45% of these exercises are solved within "the python cookbook",
> available also online

Ditto