Why functional Python matters

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Apr 16 17:30:17 EDT 2003

laotseu <bdesth at removethis.free.fr> writes:

> Paul Foley wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:49:37 +0000, laotseu  wrote:
> >
> >>Even for OO programmers, functionnal features in Python are IMHO a
> >>great plus, and BTW functionnal and OO paradigm does not have to
> >>conflict (that would be functionnal vs imperative and object vs
> >>procedural). CLOS is one of the great system objects out here, and
> >>it's been implemented on top of a functionnal language,
> > Oh yes?  Which functional language would that be?
> >

> CLOS means Common Lisp Object System.

Paul knows that :-) I'd wager the point he was making is that Common
Lisp isn't "really" a functional programming language...

Ocaml would be a better example, I'd have thought.

Cheers,
M.

--
  In general, I'd recommend injecting LSD directly into your temples,
  Syd-Barret-style, before mucking with Motif's resource framework.