Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Sun Apr 6 10:43:15 EDT 2003

Syver Enstad <syver-en+usenet at online.no> writes:

> pobrien at orbtech.com (Patrick K. O'Brien) writes:
>
> > Sound like fun?
>
> Sounds like Pymacs ;-)
> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/

Not quite.  I've downloaded Pymacs and intend to work with it.  From
what I've read it looks great.  But to me it appears to be a way to
link Python and Elisp together, as in elisp code can access Python
modules and a Python module could be written that acted as an Emacs
function.  (Or something like that.)  But what I want to do is go one
step farther and replace Emacs altogether with a similar program
written in Python, using Scintilla, wxPython and PyCrust.  Pymacs does
look like it will be a handy tool to use during this effort.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien