Why functional Python matters - A kind of conclusion

Henrik Motakef henrik.motakef at web.de
Fri Apr 18 17:45:26 EDT 2003

laotseu <bdesth at removethis.free.fr> writes:

> Due to my deep ignorance, I came to believe that Lisp was the first
> programming language based on the lambda calculus theory, the first
> language to promote functions as first class objects, and the first
> language to promote side-effect free programming style...

On the other hand, Common Lisp claims to be the first language with a
standardized (as in "ANSI standard") object system :)

> BTW, is Paul Graham still a Lisper?

Yes he is. He is currently designing a new dialect of Lisp called
Arc, see http://www.paulgraham.com.

> for x in range(100):
>    print "I shall not say that Lisp is a functional language anymore"

(prog ()
  10 (print "I will not make my programming language do my homework.")
  20 (go 10))

;-)

Regards
Henrik