POD vs. reST for standalone writing?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 29 00:18:37 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1051584944.30800.python-list at python.org>,
Andrew Bennetts  <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote:

>  - ReST isn't extensible enough; how do you add markup for, e.g. API
>    references?  How do you plug that into your docutils installation?  You
>    can't.  (The Lore markup for APIs is
>        <code class="API">twisted.internet.reactor.run</code>
>    )

You're wrong::

    :API:`twisted.internet.reactor.run`

Granted that isn't currently trivial to add, but it's definitely
possible.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93