bug in Jython 2.1? VerifyError

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 30 07:29:53 EDT 2003

I've run into some trouble using Jython 2.1
(jdk 1.4, 1.3, windows, linux).

The following piece of Python code:
----
def method():
     try:
         for dummy in [1,2,3]:
             try:
                 return "result"
             except:
                 pass
     finally:
         pass

print method()
----

fails to compile in Jython, I get this error:

java.lang.VerifyError: java.lang.VerifyError: (class: test$py, method:
method$1 signature: (Lorg/python/core/PyFrame;)Lorg/python/core/PyObject;)
Register 3 contains wrong type

That piece of code above seems to be the minimal piece of code to trigger
the problem. Something to do with nested try blocks and a loop?

Can someone confirm this or help me? Thanks!

--Irmen de Jong.