Catching Save - newbie

Vahur Lokk vlokk at hot.ee
Wed Apr 16 05:10:09 EDT 2003

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> Perhaps you should rethink your goals.  Why would you want to catch
> file modifications and how do you want to manipulate them?  Perhaps
> there are better ways?  What is your real goal?

I wanted to build a simplistic? document management system. For example,
I've got folder for letters out as well as project-based folders. I would
save the letter in Letters Out folder and a symlink created in respective
project folder etc. Programs that create such files are different - office
suite, mail client (attachments coming in), browser (files from web).

I have learned programming some 15 years ago (BASIC) and wanted to re-learn
it and am looking for some small project for a start.
File system drivers do not sound like a newbie project, though. Polling file
system for changes did come to my mind as a solution, but it seems like
very resource-hungry way to do things.

Wahur