Dict handling of floats

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 23:55:05 EDT 2003

[Jim Richardson]
>>> Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted
>>> with a fork()

[Tim]
>> OTOH, I'm not sure anyone grows up enough to be trusted with a
>> float <wink>:
>>
>>     http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node14.html

[Jim Richardson]
> I figured it was something like that, It doesn't make any difference in
> my application, I just found it kind of odd.
>
> I have no real schooling in programming, all I learn is as I go,
> sometimes, stuff like this, trips me up.

Oh sure.  I hope you didn't read that as a dig!  I can testify that experts
screw up in the face of floating-point, and testify with confidence since
I'm one of the experts who so screws up <wink>.

> <Jim, who *still* doesn't grokk self.>

You will!  Floating point is doomed to remain esoteric to those who don't
make a concerted study of the topic, but self has a naturalness that will
eventually seem obvious.

self-is-what's-left-when-you're-not-looking-at-others-ly y'rs  - tim