How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

Changjune Kim juneaftn at REMOVETHIShanmail.net
Wed Apr 16 13:30:15 EDT 2003

"Christopher Blunck" <blunck at gst.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:48:58AM -0700, Michael Chermside wrote:
> > Christopher writes:
> > > So how many of you guys use XP processes?
> > Well, I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I really LIKE most of the
points
> > that XP makes, but I find many of its proponants overly exuberant. I
> > think exhaustive, automated tests are a wonderful idea. I believe in
> > refactoring. I think pair programming works very well most of the time.
> > I think super-short release cycles (with code that grows feature-by-
> > feature) is a great idea. I think having a customer on-site is
extremely
> > helpful.
>
> It's quite funny, but if you sit an XP and RUP guy down at the same table
> you'll find that they agree with most principals.  They'll disagree on
some
> things (like design), but I've never seen them disagree on iterative
> development, frequent testing, frequent integration, etc.  They may
disagree
> on the frequency of "frequent testing" (XP favoring daily testing), or on
> the implementation details of iterative development.  But for the most
part,
> I've found would-be opposites to share very similar views.

[snip]

Grady Booch, for example, is a board member of the Agile Alliance, and he
said, in my and other interviews, that he believes in and likes it. You
might know that Rational Rose has XP plug-in.

See also Mark Paulk's write-up Extreme Programming from a CMM Perspective
at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/papers/xp-cmm-paper.pdf