One-liner blocks (was Re: accessing a functions var from a subfunction.)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 11:46:11 EDT 2003

>Having MTOWTDI ain't Pythonic.  The ability to write either:
>
>    if finished: break
>
>OR quite equivalently
>
>    if finished:
>        break
>
>is therefore a wart.

Hrm. Conceputalization? I consider these two equivalent. I suppose
it's bias. Years of using languages where WSDM (white spaces don't
matter), allows me to elide away some under some circumstances. :)

BTW, there's a thing I do in some programming environments, that
I personally really like to do, but I see few other people do. I'll
show you:

	if (alpha)       { DoSomething();        return x; }
    if (beta)        { DoSomethingElse();    return y; }
    if (delta)       { DoOtherThing();       return z; }

I like to use *columns*, in other words. I find this to be neat and
readible, and considerably superior to what would otherwise pass as
the defacto alternative.

I think you'll see how the example applies to the thread's subject...

C//