more informative stack traces

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 14 23:05:58 EDT 2003

    >> > I am proposing a different style of stack trace which I found more
    >> > useful in debugging problems with live code. The main change
    >> > involves showing the actual parameter values in function calls,
    >> > gdb-style.

    >> May I suggest you refactor your code into two modules: a
    >> platform-independent one that inspects tracebacks and generates the
    >> traceback text in some sort of container or generator.

    Scott> Any possibility of getting this idea to be part of Python? It
    Scott> seems like the Right Thing to me.  It could be made
    Scott> user-configurable (on or off) so that backward compatibility
    Scott> could be maintained.

Everyone involved should take a look at the cgitb module in the standard
distribution.  I submitted a patch for cgitb a long time ago which allows
plain text traceback generation:

    http://python.org/sf/569574

Note Ping's comment appended to that patch that the core code belongs in the
traceback module.

If you can get this sorted out quickly so that the core code is in the
traceback module I suspect you can still squeeze it into 2.3.

Skip