When Python outruns C++ ...

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Apr 1 22:27:49 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:07:57PM -0800, Jeremy Fincher wrote:
> Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote in message news:<mailman.1049181423.2644.python-list at python.org>...
> >   It looks like this could easily be improved with the application of a
> > slightly smarter searching algorithm, such as Rabin-Karp search or
> > Boyer-Moore find.
> These searches depend on a fixed needle to search for in the haystack.
>  They can't be applied to a regular expression search.

  Quite true.  However, a regular expression is by no means the only way
to break a string up into "words".  For this simple task, I think either of
the above mentioned algorithms will work.  For more complex ones, involving
really complex regular expressions, perhaps not.

Lowery's Law:
        If it jams -- force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.