*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Apr 24 14:11:14 EDT 2003

On 24 Apr 2003 06:56:51 -0700,
	Graham Fawcett <graham__fawcett at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Of course we have no infrastructure for this (at least for the ones
> that cost money). But I'm sure we could create one if the need arose.

Two sites were created for this purpose, SourceExchange and Cosource.  Both
are now dead and gone, which should tell you something.  Such a tip-jar
system produces trivial amounts of money, $20 or $100. If you had $50K to
spend, you could hire a developer to work on something for 40 hours a week,
but that amount of money is not found in a tip jar.

The limited resource is not money, it's time, and tiny amounts of cash are
not sufficient incentive to make someone allocate time to a project.  Most
developers have lots and lots of projects they can spend time on, some
software-related, some not; their projects multiply over time.  The solution
is to add more people, expanding the amount of time available, instead of
using money to affect the allocation of a shrinking pool of available time.
Many projects will still never be completed, in that model.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
MACBETH: Throw physic to the dogs; I'll none of it.
      -- _Macbeth_, V, iii