Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at
Sun Apr 6 16:50:46 CEST 2003

laotseu <bdesth at> writes:

> Sounds like Real Fun !
> Is there a way to get the current code ? (I was recently thinking of
> extending pycrust to make it a full programming environnement,
> something like a mix of Emacs and Smalltalk's programming
> environnement... Not sure if I'm able to do it, but...)

Sure.  The new editor, PyAlaMode, is in the PyCrust CVS repository on

While it works, I plan to revise it quite a bit.  Right now it just
uses the standard Scintilla keybindings, and there is no way to change
them.  In fact, there is no way to customize it at all.  But before I
add all those kind of features I want to design the architecture and
make it based upon and semi-compatible with Emacs.  If we that and
make it easy to integrate with Bicycle Repair Man that should make it
closer to a Smalltalk type environment.  But first I need to get the
foundation in good shape before I pile on features.  I'll take all the
help I can get.

Patrick K. O'Brien
"Your source for Python programming expertise."