Python and web programming .. my way ?

Svenne Krap usenet2002 at krap.dk
Fri Apr 4 12:31:23 EST 2003

Hi.

First of all, despite being a complete Python-newbie, I consider
myself a fairly competent PHP-programmer (amongst other things) with
more than 5 years of experience.

My question is, how does you handle page generation nicely in python ?
In PHP i have adopted a way of generating a gui.php file, which holds
a gui-object, that takes care of drawing the "framework" php-page
(that is top, menues and bottom with colors, semi-dynamic content
(like username for the user) and so on....)

Meaning that, a simple website, using my system could be :

=== example.php ===
<?php
include "basics.inc";
// includes gui.inc amongst other and gives a $gui object
$gui->top("frontpage.aboutme.hobbies") ;
// the in the above memberfunction the argument
// is usually a logical path used for menues
?>
Hello wolrd.
<?php
$gui->bottom();
?>
=== example.php ===

The above code could produce litterally hundreds of lines of html
(with database-powered dhtml-menues and so on...)...

While haveing some drawbacks (ie. its not easy to make major
design-changes, it proves to be a very effective way to write a whole
website, and the resulting pages are very homogene and the sources are
very simple and unbelievable easy to maintain afterwards (even for
people who had prevously never seen the aproach before). It also has
the benefit that every logical webpage has a physical php-file and
that deeplinking and such stuff is tremendously easy.

The mod_python way with a single .py file to handle the whole
directory seems ackward and clumsey to me. By the way.. is there a way
to make the PythonHandler to handle the whole website (ie. from the
document-root and downwards) and if so, is it easy to get the
requested url ? Then I think, i can figure out a likewise system
myself.

Is there any way to do something likewise in Python ? Or is there any
good reason why my way (tm) is not easily doable in python ? And how
should it be made instead....

Svenne