ftp problem on solaris machines with python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Apr 25 11:12:06 EDT 2003

In article <88bc63c6.0304250651.5ec01610 at posting.google.com>,
Doug Farrell <writeson at earthlink.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We're not gzipping the files first because we're really short on space
>on the Solaris machine and gzipping takes quite a bit of temp space to
>work, unfortunately. By croaking I mean the the python program croaks
>in mid transmission while ftping a large file. However, ftping the
>file from the shell command line works fine.
>
>One of our guys found a module pyExpect (I think) that will let our
>program ftp using the command line rather than the ftplib module.
>We're looking into that.
			.
			.
			.
Something's fishy.  ftplib ought to work.  If it
doesn't, it ought to be fixed.

I can understand, though, that you might be in a
situation where you can ill-afford to research such
matters.  HOWEVER, do not think you need to resort
to pyExpect; the standard Unix ftp client can, in
general, be driven purely from the command line.  I
recommend you use it so.  Does <URL: http://
phaseit.net/claird/comp.unix.programmer/ftp_automation.html#re-directed >
give you enough of a hint about how to do so?

--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net