OT: losing memories (was Re: How many of you are Extreme Programmers?)

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Sat Apr 26 12:36:37 EDT 2003

Quoth Stephen Horne:
  [...]
> Yeah, but my brain object must have been written in C++
> [...] it's so unreliable I
> get hours of downtime almost every single day.

Yes, most versions of the brain object require several hours of
downtime each day for routine maintenance tasks, notably to move
data from cache to permanent storage.

Unfortunately the storage format is proprietary and the details
are very well-protected.  (This is one of the reasons that
interoperability between brains and other systems is so poor.)
Unfortunately, the vendor has what seems to be an unassailable
monopoly position in this market; open source alternatives are
extremely primitive, and the effort to reverse engineer the brain
-- which has already been underway for decades -- is not expected
to be complete any time soon.

(Wishing for a SQL interface to my memories... it's *my*
intellectual property, damn it!)

--
Steven Taschuk              Aral: "Confusion to the enemy, boy."
staschuk at telusplanet.net    Mark: "Turn-about is fair play, sir."