Sparse matrix data structures?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at ieee.org
Fri Apr 18 11:53:17 EDT 2003

Joze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any Python packages implementing some of the most usual data
> structures for sparse matrices (coordinates, compressed rows,
> compressed columns, etc.)? I found SparsePy on the web, but it doesn't
> seem to be maintained any more, and the link to the source is broken.
> How well do these integrate with numarray and/or SciPy?

The CVS version of SciPy has a sparse matrix package.  Last I checked it
built and worked on my Linux system.

You can get the CVS version of SciPy as per instructions at www.scipy.org

To build the sparse package be sure to modify the setup.py file and add
'sparse' to the list of packages to be built.

The sparse support is a pretty good start, but it's been a while since I
last played with it.  It is based on UMFPACK (whose license is another
reason Sparse is not turned on by default in scipy) and SuperLU.

-Travis Oliphant