*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Apr 25 01:55:29 CEST 2003

In article <r_Lpa.89137$T34.2223764 at news2.tin.it>,
Alex Martelli  <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
>Denis Agar wrote:
>> Ok, try to ignore the thickness of my skull, but you're saying that it
>> is possible to create progams using mfc42.dll, a GUI that most people
>> have already? I have the win32 extensions and am in the process of
>Yes, with Python and a simple add-on you can choose to reuse any DLL
>you may have lying around.  win32all (PythonWin in particular) does
>that for MFC specifically.  Other add-ons such as the oldie (but
>goldie) calldll, and the newer (and more powerful) ctypes, let you
>do that for ANY dll (with more Python-side work to adapt it).  Good
>luck -- it IS, of course, lower-level programming than typical Python
>work, since you want to use DLLs designed for lower-level languages.
>The anygui project, anygui.sf.net, aims to design a uniform wrapper
>that can use most any GUI toolkit as a back-end -- this would include
>(at least potentially) MFC, or the bare Win32 API's, etc.  It's not
All true, of course.

I want to emphasize again that, for the specific question
of construction of Python-scripted GUI applications, it is
not necessary to comprehend the full generality of these
possibilities.  Mark Hammond and his beneficiaries have
successfully used win32all (or PythonWin) to write such

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net