Problem getting zlib.o built on solaris 8 system

Reed, Judith JReed at NaviSite.com
Thu Apr 24 11:57:20 EDT 2003

Greetings, Python folks. I am not a subscriber to this list, but am
hoping you can help me with a problem installing

python 2.2.2 on Solaris 8. I can configure, but when I do "make", I get
the following errors on the zlib extension build:

building 'zlib' extension

gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I.

      -I/usr/local/src/Python-2.2.2/./Include -I/usr/local/include

      -I/usr/local/src/Python-2.2.2/Include
-I/usr/local/src/Python-2.2.2

      -c /usr/local/src/Python-2.2.2/Modules/zlibmodule.c

      -o build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.2/zlibmodule.o

gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.2/zlibmodule.o

      -L/usr/local/lib -lz -o build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.2/zlib.so

Text relocation remains                         referenced

    against symbol                  offset      in file

<unknown>                           0x734
/usr/local/lib/libz.a(inflate.o)

<unknown>                           0x738
/usr/local/lib/libz.a(inflate.o)

                  :

<unknown>                           0xe18
/usr/local/lib/libz.a(infblock.o)

<unknown>                           0xe1c
/usr/local/lib/libz.a(infblock.o)

<unknown>                           0xe20
/usr/local/lib/libz.a(infblock.o)

                                    :

                                    etc...

I have zlib 1.3.1 installed, so I am baffled as to what is going on
here. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Please reply via email, as I'm not subscribed, I'll summarize if there
is interest.

Huge TIA!!!

Judith Reed

jreed at navisite.com