Cross-reference 'import' in a class hierarchy

Michael Hudson mwh at
Mon Apr 7 12:45:58 CEST 2003

Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at> writes:

> On Sun, 06 Apr 2003, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >  Ben Finney wrote:
> > > In I want:
> > >     import eek
> >
> > If the toplevel package is put in a place where Python can find it,
> >  	import
> It's not.  Even if I make it so on my computer, it's not going to be so
> on someone else's computer when they download my package tree.

It is a Fact Of Life that Python packages (and modules therein) need
to know where they are in the global module namespace.

  Programming languages should be designed not by piling feature on
  top of feature, but by removing the weaknesses and restrictions
  that make the additional features appear necessary.
               -- Revised(5) Report on the Algorithmic Language Scheme