Inserting HTML files as strings in database

vivek kumar gupt_vive at
Tue Apr 15 13:57:17 CEST 2003

hi all,
  I am trying to make a search engine in python. I want to save the html
files retrieved by the crawler into a Mysql database as strings
(MEDIUMTEXT). But the characters like ' " etc are giving problems while
inserting it as a string. Is there any way to escape these characters ( like
\' for ') without reading the whole file and checking for these special
  And also as it is the first time i am trying to implement a search engine
type of thing. I have implemented a basic crawler using urllib2 ( coz of
proxy ). Can u please help me by giving some pointers??

I am using Python 2.2.2, MySQL 3.23.55, MySQLdb 0.9.2 on windows 2000.

Vivek Kumar

Vrroooom…… Fasten your seatbelts. Get set for F1