Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Apr 6 19:30:09 EDT 2003

> PyCrust and PyAlaMode are both based on Scintilla as well.  In
> wxPython the Scintilla wrapper is called wxStyledTextCtrl.  The
> difference between PyAlaMode and Scite is that the autocompletion and
> calltips in PyAlaMode are dynamically generated based on the namespace
> of the module being edited whenever the user decides to update the
> namespace.
>
> In short, I'm already doing what you're suggesting.  ;-)

Umm... If you're using Scintilla (or it's wxPython analog), you're not quite
doing what I suggested. Unlike Scintilla, Scite has buffer, file management
and other bells and whistles added that Scintilla does not have. A review of
the Scite classes' public methods might be instructive :)

Regards,

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA