OT: Python application deployment?

Davor Cengija dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr
Fri Apr 11 07:26:32 EDT 2003

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

> "kkennedy" <titanrebel at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:14bd1399.0304091426.1b08e005 at posting.google.com...
>> I would like it to be smaller than
>> the 7 MB download available from python.org, and be able to be
>> installed transparent to the user.
>
> On windows, Biig == Good!!
>
> Users are so used to huge installs & downloads that they expect them and
> they will be suspicious of anything that takes less than 30 minutes to
> install - especially if it costs money. The "no-brain-install" is the
> right idea, thoug.

(really off-topic, but worth of mentioning)

I wrote a simple python program with gui for a friend of mine and his
projects at local university. His co-workers didn't want to use it since
'it's too small, obviously it doesn't do what we need'. It's about 45k of
python source. Then I created self-standing exe with mcmillan's installer.
It's now about 7mb in size. Now it looks 'respectable' and 'worth of trying
but not for serious work since it doesn't have setup.exe with EULA and
other things -- so it isn't a real program'. Now I'm looking for a free
install-shield like software.

So, it isn't the quality of a software what only counts. Actually, I'm not
sure that the quality is the most important thing these days.
Davor Cengija, dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr