distributed computing implementations

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Thu Apr 3 18:32:08 EST 2003

> It is true that you have to write interface definitions [for CORBA].
> However, considering that you are doing distributed computing, I
> can't really see this as "overhead". Overhead compared to what?

XML-RPC and SOAP don't require interface definitions. And how is it not
overhead? I'm sure that a lot of C++/Java programmers NEVER think of
defining interfaces as overhead.

> Code written by yourself? Compared to what? A CORBA client in Python
> is really short.

This short?

from xmlrpclib import Server
s = Server(uri)
s.method(*args)

> A CORBA server is larger, but then, the servers
> for other distributed computing infrastructures are also larger.

True. XML-RPC servers are huge compared to XML-RPC clients:

from SimpleXMLRPCServer import SimpleXMLRPCServer
server = SimpleXMLRPCServer(("localhost", 8000))

server.register_function(func1)
server.register_function(func2)

server.server_forever()

> That depends on the implementation you use. For a client, it is
> certainly true that XML-RPC libraries are significantly (factor 10)
> smaller than the Fnorb libraries.

Are the CORBA Python libraries written in pure Python?

Cheers,
Brian