pythong referencing/aliasing

Cameron Laird claird at
Fri Apr 25 18:33:32 CEST 2003

In article <mailman.1051284819.25791.python-list at>,
Jeff Epler  <jepler at> wrote:
		[other true stuff]
>give you a clearer explanation.  I can only add one other piece of
>information: I rarely am hurt by the fact that Python doesn't have
>references of the type you're talking about.
I'll make a positive assertion of this:  in C and
C++, stylish programmers frequently use references
to good effect.  Python rarely, very rarely, needs
to do the same.  It might be instructive to choose
a typical C++ reference idiom, and illustrate how
its typical use case is better served in Python be
a derived return, or dictionary construction, or ...

Cameron Laird <Cameron at>