Terminal-based text editor with color syntax hilighting

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Tue Apr 1 10:27:47 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1049169002.28920.python-list at python.org>,
Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> new gnu emacs (around 8 months old I think) and vim (a super vi clone) both
> support color coding.

Ahh, that's right, I forgot about vim. I remember seeing vim in color over a
terminal, and if I recall correctly, it can write colored source to HTML
too... Unfortunately, I have such a hard time with vi - I feel like I have
to RTFM every time I use it again. ;)

Found some information about text terminal colors for emacs here:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-21-2.8/html_node/elisp_469.html

Are there any others? What about Fte, I wonder... is that editor/IDE still
being actively maintained? According to their website it supports Python
color hilighting, but I'm not sure if the s-lang version does. I'll check
into it.

Thanks,
Dave