problem starting python interpreter in emacs (win98)

Jeremy Yallop jeremy at jdyallop.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 04:55:14 EDT 2003

selwyn wrote:
> I am having diffculty getting the python interpreter to run under emacs,
> either from the menu or with C-c ! Syntax highlighting and .py file
> recognition works fine.
>
> When I try strating the interpreter with the above Emacs complains:
> "Searching for program: No such  file or directory, python"

Perhaps you need to add C:\Python22 to the PATH environment variable.
Alternatively, you could tell emacs where the Python interpreter lives
by setting py-python-command to the full path to the executable
("C:\Python22\python.exe").

> However I am slightly confused about when Emacs reloads .emacs. Do I
> have to restart windows everytime I make a change, or is there a method
> for reloading while Emacs is running?

M-x eval-buffer.  Also try M-x ielm for an interactive elisp shell.

Jeremy.