Data-driven testing

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 23 10:19:19 EDT 2003

As I just mentioned in another post, I'm writing an ASCII database for
my address book.  Actually, the main reason for writing it was because
I've been maintaining multiple lists for various kinds of party invites,
and the update problem was killing me.

While writing it, it occurred to me that I *ought* to be using unit
tests to make sure that it was working correctly, but two things stopped
me.  Secondly, I was in a hurry.

But firstly, I ran into the same problem I had when writing the BCD
module: how the heck does one write tests when the results are
hand-calculated?  There were several times when I wrote what I thought
were correct tests for the BCD module, and my code was right and my test
was wrong.

In the case of my ASCII database, I'm going to need a big matrix to
properly test the query language.  How do I build that matrix?

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?