[ANN] wxPyPlot V1.0 Beta 2
g_will at cyberus.ca
Wed Apr 9 22:01:56 CEST 2003
I have released Version 1.0 beta 2 of wxPyPlot for producing simple plots
in wxPython. This is a fix for Linux users because of some problems with
fonts and clipping area.
Users will require wxPython 126.96.36.199 or later and Numeric.
For your viewing pleasure, the website now has some html docs as well as a
few more screen shots of things. Check out:
Comments and suggestions welcome.
What is wxPyPlot??
wxPyPlot is an enhanced derivative version of wxPlotCanvas to provide simple
lightweight plotting in wxPython. The emphasis is both on simple and
Before starting this work I looked at two plotting packages that could be
adapted to work with wxPython. SciPy Plt and Chaco are sophisticated and
powerful, but at the expense of consuming huge amounts of computer resources
for simple plots. They can be found at http://scipy.com. I was looking for
something that could be incorporated into a Boa application and had the
ability to plot lines with large numbers of points quickly for data capture
applications. wxPlotCanvas had the speed and some of the functionality that
I was looking for, but lacked a lot of features that I needed. This effort
has filled the gap.
- Automatic Scaling of Axes
- Legends for lines and markers
- Plot Title and Axis Labels
- Zoom Region with Mouse (Rubber Band) or Programmatically
- Scroll Up/Down, Left/Right
- Plot Grid (Graticule) on Graph
- Printing, Preview, and Page Set-up (margins) -WYSIWYG
- Cursor X-Y User Axis Values
- Simple, Lightweight and Fast
- Can be Used with Boa Applications if Desired
- Lots of Comments and Doc Strings along with Example Usage
I have tested this out on Windows using Python 2.2 and wxPython 188.8.131.52. If
you have the chance to test it on Linux, please let me know how it works.
Suggestions and improvements welcome.
Screen shots, source and instructions for Boa can be found at
More information about the Python-list