Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at
Mon Apr 7 16:15:34 CEST 2003

tanzer at (Christian Tanzer) writes:

> martin at (Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=) wrote:
> > pobrien at (Patrick K. O'Brien) writes:
> >
> > > Are there translators out there?  I looked and couldn't find any.
> >
> > Parsing S-Expressions is fairly trivial - they are designed to be
> > readily parsable. For a full translator, you need to define the
> > language mapping first, i.e. how do you want to represent atoms,
> > function names, etc.
> I expect the main difficulty to be the difference in scoping
> models -- the dynamic scoping of Elisp is probably pretty hard to
> simulate in Python without incurring major performance problems. And
> that's used by lots of Elisp code, so skipping it is not an option if
> you want to have comparable behavior.

I'm starting to think this will be the reason *not* to mimick the
Emacs API as closely as I originally thought.  I have neither the
time, energy, nor interest in making an elisp to Python translator.
So I think a better approach will be to simply create a new, Pythonic
API that allows the same kind of programmability as Emacs, but without
trying to adhere to the Emacs syntax or "object model."

Patrick K. O'Brien
"Your source for Python programming expertise."