Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Mon Apr 7 16:15:34 CEST 2003

tanzer at swing.co.at (Christian Tanzer) writes:

> martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=) wrote:
>
> > pobrien at orbtech.com (Patrick K. O'Brien) writes:
> >
> > > Are there translators out there?  I looked and couldn't find any.
> >
> > Parsing S-Expressions is fairly trivial - they are designed to be
> > readily parsable. For a full translator, you need to define the
> > language mapping first, i.e. how do you want to represent atoms,
> > function names, etc.
>
> I expect the main difficulty to be the difference in scoping
> models -- the dynamic scoping of Elisp is probably pretty hard to
> simulate in Python without incurring major performance problems. And
> that's used by lots of Elisp code, so skipping it is not an option if
> you want to have comparable behavior.

I'm starting to think this will be the reason *not* to mimick the
Emacs API as closely as I originally thought.  I have neither the
time, energy, nor interest in making an elisp to Python translator.
So I think a better approach will be to simply create a new, Pythonic
API that allows the same kind of programmability as Emacs, but without
trying to adhere to the Emacs syntax or "object model."

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien