[Newbie] Opinions on GUI and distribution

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Fri Apr 4 15:45:14 EST 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:32:20PM +0200, Jane Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I'd like to check if Python is a viable alternative to
> VisualBasic to develop stand-alone apps for Windows, and I did read
> the archives and stuff on the Web about those issues but... I'd like
> some feedback from people experienced with this kind of developement.
>
> 1. How easy is it to build and deploy Python apps on hosts that either
> have nothing pre-installed (ei. Python itself, the GUI framework, and
> my scripts), or need some updates (ie. my scripts in a newer version)?

  Easy.  Distutils, py2exe, McMillian Installer, and several others give you
a wide variety of installation approaches.

> 2. Are the GUI frameworks currently available (win32all as part of
> ActivePython, wxWindows, PyGTK, PythonQT, etc.) really good enough to
> build professional applications?

  Some of them are, certainly.  I think that this is an area where the
differences tend to come down mainly to personal taste.

> 3. What about performance as compared to VB, VC++ or PowerBasic?

  Hard to answer this one.  Python is "fast enough" for almost all
programming tasks.  When it's not, extension modules which are
native-compiled can be written and used.  Bottom line, I doubt you'll find
an application for which Python's runtime performance disqualifies it as a
possible implementation language.

  Jp

--
http://catandgirl.com/view.cgi?44